PNP heeds President’s order to demolish obstructions to reclaim streets, sidewalks

News

The Philippine National Police (PNP) is heeding the marching order of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte to demolish structures and obstructions to reclaim streets and sidewalks for the public.

PNP photos

PNP Chief, Police General Oscar Albayalde led the demolition of Police Community Precinct 6 this morning, July 30, in Barangay West Crame, San Juan City together with Mayor Francis Zamora and National Capital Region Police Officer Director, Police Major General Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar.

This move is prompted by the call of President Duterte to local government officials during his State of the Nation Address last week to reclaim public spaces and ease traffic congestion.

Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Ano has issued Memorandum Circular 2019-121 this week to strengthen the order to remove all obstructions in local roads

Zamora reiterated that the DILG gave Metro Manila mayors 60 days to remove and ease public spaces during the discussion with city mayors and law enforcement agencies yesterday.

He said that the local government will give the local police affected by the demolition some alternative places wherein new police precinct will be established.

Meanwhile, PMGen Eleazar said that violators will have “moral ascendency” to demolish obstructions reclaiming public ways because the PNP has initiated the implementation of the DILG Memorandum even removing its own police community precincts.

According to PNP Spokesperson, Police Brigadier General Bernard Banac, the PNP Chief will soon order other Regional Directors in Police Region Offices to launch demolition operations to remove police community precincts which established in sidewalks and other public roads nationwide. PNP-PIO