The Philippine Air Force (PAF) will be accepting four North American Rockwell OV-10 “Bronco” light-attack planes from the United States either by this year or in 2019, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said Monday.
The Philippine government will shoulder the cost of transportation and shipment of the planes to the country, the defense chief said quoting a message from PAF head Lt. Gen. Galileo Gerard Kintanar.
These OV-10s will augment the existing six to eight units currently in service with the PAF.
The above-mentioned aircraft served as the country’s premier ground-attack aircraft and was extensively used in the Marawi-conflict last year along with the SIAI-Marchetti SF-260 and Korea Aerospace Industries FA-50s in attacking terrorist targets and strongholds in the five-month campaign which started May and ended on October of that year.
PAF is the sole remaining operator of the OV-10 “Bronco” light-attack plane.
“Meron pa tayong (We still have) remaining OV 10s that we used in Marawi. They will augment these existing ones to support ground operations,” Lorenzana said. PNA