Military forces continue operations against Abu Sayyaf

News

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is sustaining its efforts against terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group in Sulu. AFP Western Mindanao Command (WESTMINCOM) said on March 8 that military forces continue to conduct hot pursuit operations against the Abu Sayyaf Group in Sulu.

WESTMINCOM said at around 6:40 am, Philippine Air Force (PAF) assets conducted bomb run targeting 200 combined ASG members under ASG leader Radulan Sahiron and Hatib Hajan Sawadjaan in Sitios Agas-Agas and Limasan of Barangay Kabbun Takas, Patikul, Sulu.

It noted that result of the bombardment is yet to be determined as clearing operations are still being conducted.

“We have stepped-up our tactical offensives against the ASG following the monitored and validated consolidation of the ASG terrorists in the hinterland of Patikul. This military offensive is launched before they could carry out whatever terroristic action they are planning which I believe something big as they have consolidated such number of terrorists,” Joint Task Force Sulu commander Brigadier General Divino Rey Pabayo, Jr. said.

“The JTF Sulu will never lose focus in hunting down these terrorists that had been wreaking havoc in this part of the country. Hence, it would be better for them to surrender than be hunted as fleeing criminals of the society,” Brigadier General Pabayo added.

WESTMINCOM said pursuit operations are continuously being conducted by the troops of Joint Task Force Sulu.

“As we build up the offensives against the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu, the safety of our troops is at risk. In this regard, we ask everyone to please offer prayers for our valiant soldiers that they will be spared and be able to return home victoriously,” said WESTMINCOM commander Lieutenant General Arnel B. Dela Vega.