The Philippines will not follow the lead of United States in banning and restricting Chinese companies involved in building up and reclamation in West Philippine Sea, Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque said during September 1 press briefing.
“The Sangley project will push through. The President declared last night that the Americans ay pupwede po nilang ipatupad ‘yung blacklisting ng mga Chinese companies sa kanilang teritoryo sa Amerika at siguro doon sa kanilang mga base na nasa ilalim ng kanilang hurisdiksyon,” Secretary Roque said.
“Pero malinaw pong sinabi ng Presidente, hindi po siya susunod sa direktiba ng mga Amerikano dahil tayo po ay malaya at independiyenteng bansa at kinakailangan po natin ang mga namumuhunan galing po sa bansang Tsina,” he explained.
“So Sangley and all other projects, kahit sino pong Chinese contractor ‘yan tuluy-tuloy po yan dahil ang pang-nasyunal na interes natin ay masigurado na matapos po ang mga flasghip projects natin sa ilalim ng Build, Build, Build,” Roque said.
United State Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said in a statement last week that the US Department of Commerce “added 24 PRC state-owned enterprises to the Entity List, including several subsidiaries of China Communications Construction Company (CCCC).”
“Since 2013, the PRC has used its state-owned enterprises to dredge and reclaim more than 3,000 acres on disputed features in the South China Sea, destabilizing the region, trampling on the sovereign rights of its neighbors, and causing untold environmental devastation. CCCC led the destructive dredging of the PRC’s South China Sea outposts and is also one of the leading contractors used by Beijing in its global “One Belt One Road” strategy. CCCC and its subsidiaries have engaged in corruption, predatory financing, environmental destruction, and other abuses across the world,” Pompeo said.
“The PRC must not be allowed to use CCCC and other state-owned enterprises as weapons to impose an expansionist agenda. The United States will act until we see Beijing discontinue its coercive behavior in the South China Sea, and we will continue to stand with allies and partners in resisting this destabilizing activity,” he said.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said in an interview with CNN Philippines August 28 that he would “strongly recommend” terminating contracts with Chinese firms if he finds out the they were involved in West Philippine Sea reclamation.