President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the immediate operations of Sangley Point airport. Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said that during the June 10 cabinet meeting, President Duterte shared to the Cabinet Secretaries what he found out in his surprise visit at the NAIA.
Panelo said Duterte expressed dismay and hinted at NAIA’s revamp, while Transportation Secretary Arthur P. Tugade raised some operational concerns.
“To ease congestion at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, the plan to transfer general aviation or domestic flights to Sangley Airbase [was raised]. Secretary Tugade reported that he had already initiated the testing of ferries that can operate from Mall of Asia to Sangley within 18-24 minutes,” Panelo added.
“President directed the operations in Sangley Point to start immediately.,” he said.
“On security concerns, President Duterte prefers that airport security be handled by a single entity, either from the military or civilian force. Sec. Tugade will be preparing an appropriate executive order for the President’s consideration,” Panelo added.