An air base, that may cost around PHP 974,569,400.00, for Philippine Air Forces (PAF) strike aircraft will be rising in Lumbia Airport, Cagayan de Oro City.
This is after PAF launched an acquisition project for the design and build of site, operational and support facilities for the 15th Strike Wing in above mentioned location. The deadline of submission of bids and the opening of bids is set on November 9, 2018 at PAF Procurement Center Conference Room, Villamor Air Base, Pasay City.
The 15th Strike Wing MD-520MG and AW-109AH armed helicopters, and OV-10A/C and SF-260TP aircraft.
The upcoming 2 used Bell AH-1F Cobra attack helicopters donated by Jordan are also expected to be operated by 15th Strike Wing.
Among the functions of 15th Strike Wing are to:
1. Provide close air support to surface forces
2. Conduct limited interdiction and counter – Air operations in support to designated forces
3. Organize, train, and equip subordinate units for counter-insurgency and close air support of surface forces
4. Develop plans and programs for counter-insurgency and special warfare operations, to include limited search and rescue operations
5. Provide, operate, and maintain aerodrome facilities
6. Conduct civil relation and other civic action activities including but not limited to mass base operation
7. Operate and maintain base facilities and provide base services
8. Perform organizational, field, and limited depot level maintenance of assigned aircraft.