On January 22, 2021, MGen. Ariel R. Caculitan PN(M), Commandant, Philippine Marine Corps, together with RAdm. Rommel Jason L. Galang PN, Commander, Naval Sea Systems Command (NSSC) and Col. Noel D. Beleran PN(M) GSC, Commander, Naval Installation Command (NIC) unveiled a historic marine marker in Cavite Naval Base where the first marine recruits were enlisted.
On November 09, 1950, 16 volunteers took oath in Fort San Felipe, Cavite Naval Base and were recognized as the first recruits of the Philippine Marines. More volunteers enlisted after that day.
Then Lieutenant Senior Grade Manuel L. Gomez PN was designated as the First Commanding Officer and upon him rested the direct responsibility of the newly-organized “Alpha” Company composed of 6 Officers and 230 Enlisted Personnel.
Lt. Gomez, in his first meeting with his staff, uttered these words of vision: “THE TASK OF TURNING THESE YOUNG MEN INTO MARINES RESTS UPON US. TODAY AS WE START THE TRAINING OF THESE 230 VOLUNTEERS, WE WILL BE STRIKING THE FIRST HAMMER BLOW IN FORGING THE CUTTING EDGE OF THE ARMED FORCES.”
Inscribed in the marker are names of the Philippine Marines “Alpha” Company members who served as our forefathers who made the Corps a formidable force it is today.
The marker was built through the efforts of the Marine Corps Historian Office (MCHO) headed by Lt. Col. Belinda R. Ferrer PN(M), Director, MCHO, PMC. PHILIPPINE MARINE CORPS