Pressure from persistent military operations and hardship in the New People’s Army forced 47 members and supporters of the communist terrorist group (CTG) to return to the government fold in the first days of June.
The Northern Luzon Command tallied the highest total of Communist NPA Terrorists (CNTs) who abandoned the violence in the said period with 33.
The highest number was recorded on June 4 when 21 members of the NPA’s so-called “underground mass organizations” withdrew from the CTG with the help of the 91st Infantry Battalion in Dingalan, Aurora.
Earlier on June 2, seven CTG members also yielded to government forces in Guimba, Nueva Ecija.
The Command also reported five others who surrendered in June 1 in separate occasions in Isabela, Tarlac, and Ilocos Sur.
Meanwhile, a total of seven former CNTs yielded to the Eastern Mindanao Command (EASTMINCOM), five of which surrendered on June 3 in the areas of Surigao del Sur, Agusan del Norte, Davao del Oro and Davao del Norte.
Two others voluntarily submitted to AFP forces in Mawab, Davao del Oro and Malaybalay City, Bukidnon on June 1 and 2.
On the other hand, five CNTs yielded to government forces in Mulanay, Quezon under SOLCOM on June 2. Two other NPAs presented themselves to 46IB in Calbiga Samar on June 3.
Intensified internal security operations also resulted to the death of one NPA and apprehension of five from June 1 to 5.
On June 4 in Southern Luzon Command, government forces figured in an encounter with 10 CNTs in Baco, Oriental Mindoro area which resulted to one enemy fatality.
They also seized one cal .45 pistol with magazine loaded with six rounds of ammunition, one IED, one Garmin GPS, 13 cellphones with 17 assorted batteries and three chargers, subversive documents, and assorted medical supplies.
Moreover, Central Command troops apprehended three CNTs which accounted for the recovery of one cal .45 pistol, two IEDs, cellular phone, PhP25,000.00 cash and subversive documents in Las Navas, Northern Samar on June 1.
The 36th Infantry Battalion in EASTMINCOM meanwhile apprehended two personalities believed to be NPA members and confiscated one hand grenade, one motorized tricycle, and PhP10,550.00 cash last June 2 in Cantilan, Surigao del Sur.
“The unwavering commitment of our troops to their sworn duty under NTF-ELCAC with the active support of local government units proved to be successful in securing our nation’s safety against the threat of communist terrorism amid the current national health crisis,” said AFP Chief of Staff General Felimon T. Santos Jr.
“The AFP will remain steadfast in its efforts to contain and eventually eliminate the dangers imposed by the Communist Terrorist Groups. We will continue to fight in the frontlines against the global pandemic while strengthening our post in the battlefront,” General Santos added. AFP.MIL.PH